DAR Compilation Vol. 1
Sound samples on MySpace

Review auf Kulturterrorismus
Review auf Medienkonverter
Review on gothtronic.com
Review auf necroweb.de
Review auf Club Debil
Reseña de Mentenebre

Compilation includes tracks by Ah Cama-Soz & All Sides, Dark Muse & Nihil Communication, Evoke Scurvee, False Mirror, Megatone, Mytrip, Nagual Art, Phelios, Phobos, Stephen Parsick, and Svartsinn

Available at your favorite mailorder:
Thread ansehen
Dark Ambient Radio | Talk | Dark Ambient
Autor Question about surround: DVD-Audio
DarkAmbient
Technischer Administrator

Eingetreten: 08.02.06
Eingetragen auf 17-12-2008 22:22
I'm currently considering fighting the economic crisis by buying a hifi 5.1 surround system. Just need to collect some opinions. I know there are not so many DVD-Audio releases. Is a surround system reasonable for someone who visits the cinema rather than buying DVD movies? What do you think of CD-Audio in general? (Or better choose SACD & buy an extra player?)

If you have some, what are your favorite DVD-Audios?

Bearbeitet von DarkAmbient auf 18-12-2008 10:02
http://home.arcor.de/tmielke Sende Private Message
Autor RE: Question about surround: DVD-Audio
volador
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 14.07.07
Eingetragen auf 20-12-2008 17:59
I have not much experiences with surround systems. And I am not sure about SACD's because I think that there are not many SACD's available yet, especially in the underground scene...
But if you watch many DVD movies and have deaf neighbors I mean you can buy a surround system and enjoy it.
Volador.
http://www.nagualart.de Sende Private Message
vile
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 04.02.07
Eingetragen auf 22-12-2008 01:33
If you are taking it for watching movies, it is fine, a good surround sound system and a nice tv at home for me is times better than watching stuff in cinema, where you are listening more to other visitors' crunching, chewing, spitting junk food. However if you are a dedicated cinema visitor, there is no point, and in my opinion there's no point in getting 5.1 system for listening music. I've listened some cds adapted for such kind of audio systems, it is really amazing and satisfying experience but still not that popular. And for listening ordinary cds 5.1 in my opinion 5.1 sucks like hell, especially if you are switching your receiver to normal stereo mode, which makes you rear speakers redundant.

But 5.1 systems are not that expensive nowadays, and you are supporting the economy right smiley If you have a decent hi-fi system, there's nothing wrong with having another to experiment with and have really good movie experience at home.

262823426 http://twitter.com/angelxgodfree Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 22-12-2008 02:02
Thanks for you opinions! So I ordered a system and some 5.1 DVD-Audio. Maybe I will start to visit the video rental with this...

Just wondering if there is noone who ever tried doing a 5.1 surround mix. I could imagine this would add another dimension to the possibilities one has in sound & song design...
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 25.02.07
Eingetragen auf 22-12-2008 14:48
Robert Rich produced "Atlas Dei" in 5.1 Surround, if I´m not mistaken here.

Stephen

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
Doomcore
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 20.02.07
Eingetragen auf 24-12-2008 19:40
You should wait few months and than buy a bluray which supports even greater sound quality than dvd (picture also), ofcourse, you can only hear that difference if you have better speakers. smiley

Regarding 5.1 mixed music....there is not a lot of them out there, only those a bit more commercial artist do it now and than but mostly because they can afford it, it's expensive to get 5.1 audio production setup. And main reason why producers mostly don't mix in 5.1 because consumers listen their music on cheap mp3 players, hifi's, in cars, etc....But maybe in future that will change, I hope, I would really love to hear some dark ambiental in 5.1 or even 7.1. I would produce something like that, but financial status doesn't allow me to move further from 2 monitors/speakers. smiley

Bearbeitet von Doomcore auf 24-12-2008 19:41
http://www.myspace.com/phobosdna Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 25-12-2008 11:35
Atlas Dei. Ordered.

Just discovered that Male or Female did a surround DVD as well.

Doom, I think the future has begun! Fraunhofer developed a completely downward compatible format named mp3 surround. Take a peek at http://www.all4mp3.com/music/. And yes: There are some Dark Ambient tracks as well!

Price is of course a matter of compromise. Yesterday I received a Motif 5 by Teufel (www.teufel.de) for about 500€. With extreme equalizer settings on my soundcard it works fine for me -- of course being far away from demands an audiophile would have.

What would be a reasonable audio production setup? My old Cubase 3 SX seems to have all prerequisites to produce 5.1 surround mixes.

To me it seems that not really the most commercial artists have released surround mixes, but rather those who consider themselves sort of 'avantgarde' and are open-minded to new technology. (Of course there is a large intersection between those two groups.)
Doomcore
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 25-12-2008 18:25
Resonable audio production setup...hmm...

Usually, it would be a good pc (quad core, 2 gb ram minimum, 2x hd's, audio interface as M-Audio Delta series or E-Mu 1820, RME if you have money), 2x monitors (also depends on your budget....from KRK, Mackie, Dynaudio, Adam, etc.), passive monitor volume controller or a little mixer, a midi keyboard controller, several vst synths and fx's. And you are good to go for production in stereo, not 5.1.

If you have money and ofcourse some knowledge in production, you could go 5.1....that means 5 monitors and a monitor subwoofer....a mixer which supports 5.1 system, acoustically isolated room plus the things I mentioned above. smiley You need for that from 5000 to 10000€ or even more if you want the best stuff....

Btw, thx for link, going to search for those DA 5.1 tracks.... smiley
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 26-12-2008 04:55
Quad core, 2 hds? Most people I know have just a notebook to do stereo productions. Is it really necessary? Even if you have dozens of effects and soft synts running, threatening to outrun CPU capacity, you always can do snapshots of tracks to reduce it. And I never managed to get near the hard disc transfer rate -- no matter how many tracks I added. So a raid controller seems a bit overdone to me.

Concerning monitors: I think I don't have good enough ears to value the difference between good hifi speakers and a set of monitors for 1000€. (Yes, thats the price for years of visiting clubs, I guess -- on the other hand I don't remember to ever have had good ears...) And it has the benefit of allowing you to listen to the music the same way ordinary people do and optimize/compensate for the lower quality stereo equipment. smiley
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 25.02.07
Eingetragen auf 26-12-2008 14:32
For reasonable audio production, I would recommend Steinberg´s WaveLab 6, plus a decent audio card (RME Hammerfall, Emu, or the like) but being no computer buff I can´t really give you competent advice.

As for monitors, you don´t necessarily have to go for expensive studio models. If you´re a little addicted to vintage hi-fi stuff (just like I am) you might want to buy some powered MB Quart speakers which are very good and can be had for little money off eBay. Any decent hi-fi speaker will do as long as you know its character. And spending several grand on Geithain or Klein & Hummel speakers (my favourites) doesn´t make much sense when your ears were blown long ago. Some sound engineers even claim that the better a mix sounds on small, shitty speakers, the better it will sound anywhere else. That´s why Yamaha NS-10 or Auratones were a studio standard for many years.

Stephen

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 26-12-2008 17:42
Don't know if I blew my ears with loud music or the grey thing behind them with too much alcohol. smiley But I am just beginning to doubt my senses when people claim they can hear a big difference between a 500€ and a 1000€ speaker. I got my Magnat Monitor C speakers for almost 20 years now and maybe my brain just perfectly adapted to them. Friends keep telling me they sound like crap and are hopelessly outdated. Wouldn't there be criticism and this amazing surround thing, I probably would have been perfectly happy with them the next 20 years.
Doomcore
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 26-12-2008 18:28
The difference betwean monitors and hifi speakers is that monitors don't color the sound and when you mix on them your track will sound good everywhere, including mp3 players, concerts/parties, car, cheap or expensive hifi, etc....while producing and mixing on hifi speakers never give you a true representation of sound because they color the sound, make it sound more nice than it is. In most cases when your mix sounds good on them and than you switch to other setup you always wonder where did that bass you hear on your hifi go, it's not there....that goes for whole frequencie range. You're track will probably sound completely different on other speakers. I know that from expirience when I was mixing my tracks on Sony hifi lol....my mixes sounded excellent on them but when I listened them on other speakers I wanted to cry, how bad it sounded. So end, monitors have their purpose, even those cheapers ones will give you better mix than 99% of hifi speakers and amplifiers....
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 26-12-2008 18:54
Hmm, you always can double-check with your headphones. Ok, won't work for surround. Perhaps, to check the surround sound, i.e. if a specific effect works, it's not so important to have high end surround speakers, while the color might be determined well using stereo monitors. Ok, it's mere speculation now.
tnc
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 26.01.09
Eingetragen auf 27-01-2009 22:27
headphones are also a complete different thing, because the L/R Sides are separated and straight into your ear, you get a completely different stereo image, while listening on a hifi or monitor box is completly different, both sides blasting there sound into the room, and you also have the room reflections that you hear...

i have some mackie HR824 Speakers since..aprox 1 1/2 Years now..and also my room is preparated a bit.. before i was mixing through my hifi too, omg.. that was exactly like doomcore has written.
after i got the mackies, i was a little bit dissapointed by the sound, the monitors were so clear, full of clarity..analatical sounding, not comparable to the "nice" sound of my hifi,
But you hear so much more details, and even the positioning of the instruments in the mix, which gives you a completly new impression of music, and how much effort is put into that.. and after a few month, you get the new sound known and dont want anything else anymore.. smiley

but for tracking, i also often use headphones (AKG 240),

I would love to have a surround mixing setup too, but i dont need it really, it would be just for fun, and for that, its too expensive for me, because for me, quality matters.

cheers
chris
Sende Private Message
CrepusculaR
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 27.12.08
Eingetragen auf 30-01-2009 19:04
Near field monitors attempt's to give a clean, nude, exactly image of the sound(s) you are working in. As was said in above posts, domestic HI-Fi systems add its factory's mark coloring the sound, ie, AIWA likes to add extra basses and subbasses everywhere and its happen still with a full flat equalization and the 'surround' speakers switched-off.
Thats because domestic hi-fi arent designed for music production, they are for home listening of finished audio ( equalized, mixed, mastered..).-

If you use your domestic gear ( as I do ) to produce musicks you need to known exactly how your hi-fi system treats the sound in order to make right mixings and equalization and stuff.

Having the better as po$$ible monitors you will get this critic point solved.

Dont forget that monitors are equal important in the sound production system chain as synths, computers, analog or digital stuff, are.

If you got some great analogic synths + the best available software but you dont have a properly way to listen how their (really) sound, then you are in troubles.

Headphones are very usefull, but still you need to have the image coming from speakers, this is the sound interacting with air's molecules.

:crepuscular: postindustrial ambient music
https://crepuscular.neocities.org/ Sende Private Message
Springe zum Forum:
Login
Username

Passwort

Noch kein Mitglied?
Klicke hier um dich zu registrieren.

Passwort vergessen?
Fordere Hier ein neues an
Shoutbox
Du musst Dich einloggen, um eine Nachricht zu schreiben.

DarkAmbient
15 Mar : 13:35
... and again, the Auto DJ switched itself off. Got to write my own radio software. :-/

DarkAmbient
15 Mar : 13:14
And again forgot to restore a slider on a deck after fade-out...

DarkAmbient
15 Feb : 21:53
Ahh sorry, it's the ai revolution! The auto dj went on vacation, leaving the broadcasting software to queue-only mode.

Seelenkrank
15 Feb : 06:33
There ist a Loop running. The same 6-8 Songs all the time (?)

DarkAmbient
31 Dec : 15:17
Wish the same to all of you!

Shoutbox Archiv
Panel Stats