DAR Compilation Vol. 1
Sound samples on MySpace

Review auf Kulturterrorismus
Review auf Medienkonverter
Review on gothtronic.com
Review auf necroweb.de
Review auf Club Debil
Reseña de Mentenebre

Compilation includes tracks by Ah Cama-Soz & All Sides, Dark Muse & Nihil Communication, Evoke Scurvee, False Mirror, Megatone, Mytrip, Nagual Art, Phelios, Phobos, Stephen Parsick, and Svartsinn

Available at your favorite mailorder:
Thread ansehen
Dark Ambient Radio | Talk | Dark Ambient Neuerscheinungen / DA New Releases
Autor stephen parsick: cryotainer -- music for gasometers
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 25.02.07
Eingetragen auf 27-02-2008 23:23
Hi all,

time for some blatant self-promotion:

stephen parsick: cryotainer -- music for gasometers

This album contains the recording of my concert I performed at Oberhausen Gasometer on 10 November, 2007. It is a combination of both the acoustic recording of the Gasometer ambience, captured with an advanced and updated version of the infamous dummy head microphone, and the recording of the music straight from the mixing desk. Mind you, there was hardly any 19" rackmount reverb used for ambiences. I know I should not be too over-enthusiastic about it but I recommend you listen to the music via headphones as the reverb ambience of that huge gas tun is just awesome. Bert Strolenberg -- a die-hard ambient music lover himself -- thought the same when he reviewed the pre-release of "cryotainer" on his sonicimmersion website (always worth a browse anyway):

"The eight tracks on the album have a ghostly and abandoning effect, as they journey into the deep, dark end. The vast, clouded, slowly shapeshifting dronescapes and powerful textures have the best impact when heard through headphones, revealing the magic and impact of the three dimensional sound environment when it was performed."

There are also some pictures of that concert to be found on www.schallwen.de and www.emportal.info in the respective threads. As usual, "cryotainer" will be limited to a batch of 25 hand-numbered all-black CDRs. As usual, the price per disc is 15 Euro. "cryotainer" will not be available through the doombient webshop, only through me directly.

Thanks for reading. If you have any question, please feel free to get in touch with me!

Stephen

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
Autor RE: stephen parsick: cryotainer -- music for gasometers
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 01-03-2008 19:48
Here´s the index, btw.:

music for gasometers

tracks:

1. idophonic ambience
2. density and pressure
3. lightwave (dedicated to the memory of susan belling)
4. nachtmusik
5. dark gamelans
6. cryotainer
7. cold burning
8. luminous gas

stephen parsick: digital sampling systems, electronics, atmospherics, loop devices, treatments

sound sources include arp 2600 synthesiser, mini moog synthesiser, prophet 5 and prophet vs synthesisers, technics wsa 1 physical modelling synthesiser, processed ambient sound, field recordings, lithophone, pedalled tubular chimes, suspended objects, orchestral bass drum, lapsteel guitar with tesla device.

recorded live in concert at oberhausen gasometer on 10 november, 2007.
post-production done by stephen parsick at zwischenraum, werther.
additional ambient sound captured by phil booth. thanks.
thanks to schallwen.de for the invitation to play the concert.

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 02-03-2008 14:46
"cryotainer" is provisionally sold out unless somebody decides to bail out. All copies are either sold or spoken for. Bad luck for those who came too late.

Stephen

Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient
Technischer Administrator

Eingetreten: 08.02.06
Eingetragen auf 03-03-2008 13:47
Ahhahh! Was busy last week. But maybe there is a promo disc remaining?

Nice interview you gave on Sonic Immersion:
http://www.sonicimmersion.org/interview.php?letter=P&interview=90603

Still I wonder what was that with "I don´t like Dark Ambient music very much"... smiley
http://home.arcor.de/tmielke Sende Private Message
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 03-03-2008 14:54
Like I said, it´s very easy to make bad dark ambient music... it´s hard not to be boring.

Stephen

Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient
Technischer Administrator

Eingetreten: 08.02.06
Eingetragen auf 03-03-2008 16:13
Tektonik schrieb:
Like I said, it´s very easy to make bad dark ambient music... it´s hard not to be boring.

But on the other hand you do admire the Punk attitude, like: everyone can do music. smiley

I think, that it's easy to make bad music, is true for many other genres and don't see that Dark Ambient stands out in any way, especially compared to other types of electronic music. Yes, Dark Ambient is from the commercial point of view not very interesting for musicians (possibly with the exception of soundtrack music) and productions are sometimes not as professional as they could be. But this distance from the mainstream is something that I think is beneficial.

Altough I can understand your point of view. I sometimes feel the same, that's why I raised the 'Your Recent Revelations' thread. But saying 'I don't like dark ambient' could lead to the impression that you are a snob, which is surely not true due to your acivity in this forum. Most of the time I try to habitualize a sympathetic reflex with regard to DA newcomers.

Btw.: I fully agree to your statement, you dislike DA acts playing with fascist sybols. That's the reason I don't have Steinklang acts like Rasthof Dachau in the stream. (Had fierce discussions with SchwarzSchildRadius about this ideological prepossesion.) But this is the minority of the dark ambient scene. Most acts stay at a romantic nihilism (which I consider 'no future' to be part of) rather turning to an aggressive nihilism close to fascist ideology.

Bearbeitet von DarkAmbient auf 03-03-2008 16:14
http://home.arcor.de/tmielke Sende Private Message
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 03-03-2008 23:05
DarkAmbient schrieb:
Tektonik schrieb:

But on the other hand you do admire the Punk attitude, like: everyone can do music. smiley

I don´t like "punk" music, I think it´s pointless, unmusical stuff, performed mostly by morons who would not have been able to survive without having signed to the dole. I don´t like what is usually considered as "punk" (Sex Pistols, Johnny Rotten, Sid Vicious and that sort of bollocks). I don´t care for this, neither musically, nor philosophically. This is what I was driving at with "grotty hair and being slightly smelly". This is the original idea of "punk" being perverted by some kind of filthy, antisocial behaviour. I think Jurgen Teipel´s book "Verschwende Deine Jugend" describes very clearly what I´m thinking of. To me, "punk" was more about finding one´s own niche to work within, not drinking beer in public and asking passers-by for money. Ever strolled down Bielefeld´s Bahnhofstrasse without being bothered by kids who call themselves "punks" while they weren´t even in prototype stage when "punk" raged inits heyday...?

I never liked "techno" either. There was a huge lot of "low spirit" stuff around which helped form a public image, dumb, and primitive, and pointless right from the start. The interesting bits were dwelling on the boundaries of other genres or just happened to dip their toes into the "techno" pool (like Richie Hawtin, David Morley, The Orb etc.).

Same thing goes for DA... I received a couple of promos in the past for reviews, and I thought this must be the sort of stuff GPO must have had in mind when he sneered at the entire "industrial" movement that came after TG. Charles Manson, the wannabe´s neo-post-industrialist´s proverbial red carnation... musical, conceptual, and artistic clichés galore. And if it´s not about Charles Manson (or other post-industrial topics) the sound design itself leaves me rather unaffected...

I hate everything that deals with clichés. Nothing against clichés but witless clichés without some kind of ironic twist in them are pointless.

Stephen

Sende Private Message
Springe zum Forum:
Login
Username

Passwort

Noch kein Mitglied?
Klicke hier um dich zu registrieren.

Passwort vergessen?
Fordere Hier ein neues an
Shoutbox
Du musst Dich einloggen, um eine Nachricht zu schreiben.

DarkAmbient
15 Mar : 13:35
... and again, the Auto DJ switched itself off. Got to write my own radio software. :-/

DarkAmbient
15 Mar : 13:14
And again forgot to restore a slider on a deck after fade-out...

DarkAmbient
15 Feb : 21:53
Ahh sorry, it's the ai revolution! The auto dj went on vacation, leaving the broadcasting software to queue-only mode.

Seelenkrank
15 Feb : 06:33
There ist a Loop running. The same 6-8 Songs all the time (?)

DarkAmbient
31 Dec : 15:17
Wish the same to all of you!

Shoutbox Archiv
Panel Stats