DAR Compilation Vol. 1
Sound samples on MySpace

Review auf Kulturterrorismus
Review auf Medienkonverter
Review on gothtronic.com
Review auf necroweb.de
Review auf Club Debil
Reseña de Mentenebre

Compilation includes tracks by Ah Cama-Soz & All Sides, Dark Muse & Nihil Communication, Evoke Scurvee, False Mirror, Megatone, Mytrip, Nagual Art, Phelios, Phobos, Stephen Parsick, and Svartsinn

Available at your favorite mailorder:
Thread ansehen
Dark Ambient Radio | Talk | Dark Ambient Neuerscheinungen / DA New Releases
Autor stephen parsick: permafrost (dark glacial ambient)
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 25.02.07
Eingetragen auf 08-04-2010 01:14
the music on permafrost was recorded in february 2010 after i had moved to new premises in december 2009. it was inspired by the unusually long and cold winter which lasted for nearly three months and confronted us with up to three feet of snow and biting frost (some nights were at 20 degrees below zero and colder still). after nearly two months of permanent cold the temperature had briefly climbed above +10°c for a couple of days, and all of a sudden, frost and snow returned with a vengeance.

permafrost was recorded during a couple of studio sessions onto a digital multitrack recorder, using a variety of analogue and digital synthesisers, sampling systems, processors, and of course loop devices. the most interesting instrument i played, however, was ice. for instance, i close-miked a solidly frozen lake and used it for processing and creating sounds. i ran a variety of drones and sounds through the ice and picked them up using contact microphones (the results can be heard on part one and five of the album). i also recorded the sound of ice floes grinding against each other on a frozen canal. the slow rhythm on part four was created when i tossed tree trunks, logs, and smaller rocks onto the surface of the lake, having microphones pick up the sound through holes drilled into the ice. the best bit was when i recorded the ambient sound on the lake late at night, with some concerned neighbours calling the police as they feared i might want to do something really stupid. it took quite some effort to explain my work to the policemen who waggled a finger at me and told me not to do that again.

permafrost will be available in two different versions:

those who want to listen to the full score can buy a three-hour download album from extended moment over at

http://www.musiczeit.com/album.php?album=1416&title=permafrost+-+music+for+hibernation+Stephen+Parsick

inspired by a nine-hour sleep concert in new orleans i contributed music to last year, this album was produced with the idea of allowing you to create your own sleep concert at home. just line up the tracks on your computer or ipod for continuous playback, and of course you don´t have to slavishly obey to the order the titles suggest.

those who would rather have something physical in their hands can buy a cd-r from me directly which will come in the usual all-black livery. the cd-r will contain the same music as the download version, yet in slightly abridged form to make it all fit onto one cd-r. this time it will not be a production run limited to 25 copies only but the first in a series of cd-r on demand albums. please notice that i will not make a set of five separate cd-rs as this would be too much hassle, and how much am i supposed to charge you for that?

i know there is an album of the same title by thomas köner but all the albums have in common is the topic dealt with and the fact that i know thomas´ work, and he knows mine. we both seem to have a soft spot for cold areas.

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
Autor RE: stephen parsick: permafrost (dark glacial ambient)
Doomcore
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 20.02.07
Eingetragen auf 08-04-2010 08:26
Permafrost story...good one....lol, recording sounds is criminal act. smiley
http://www.myspace.com/phobosdna Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient
Technischer Administrator

Eingetreten: 08.02.06
Eingetragen auf 08-04-2010 12:09
Cheers for moving away a bit from the CD audio format! Did you consider releasing a full-length DVD version?
http://home.arcor.de/tmielke Sende Private Message
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 09-04-2010 00:15
I´ve toyed with the idea of releasing an audio DVD in the style of Robert´s "Somnium" album but I haven´t found DVDs I could make look like a proper release. Apparently, there´s only one type of DVDs around, and they look like those you´d find at your local supermarket. How pathetic would that be selling these...?

That´s why I produced an abridged version which would fit onto the usual all-black to continue the series of releases which all look identical. The good thing about the download is the fact that I can fully exploit the liberties of not being limited to a specific playing time (which is the good thing about download albums).

Stephen

"Wer sich am kommerziellen Musikgeschmack orientiert, dient der Reaktion." (Einstürzende Neubauten, 1981)
Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 09-04-2010 13:49
Well there are inkjet printable DVDs and with a fixative spray you can even make them water proof. There are also plants that offer a professional print on DVD-r at low numbers.
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 09-05-2010 14:03
Here´s the first review of it (bedankt, Bert!):

Stephen Parsick - Permafrost -music for hibernation

CD-r, Private Release, 2010
The music of r0;Permafrostr1; (music for hibernation) was initially set in motion by a nine-hour sleep concert Stephen Parsick contributed music to in 2009, produced with the idea of allowing the listener to create your own r0;sleep concertr1; at home. Then, from December 2009 til March 2010, Western Europe suffered from a severe and unusually long and cold winter, which gave an extra boost of inspiration to create music mirroring cold and frosty conditions. During the process of refining and carving the core elements for the soundscapes, Parsick applied a digital multi-track recorder, a variety of analogue and digital synthesisers, sampling systems, processors, his usual loop devices. He even r0;playedr1; ice by running a variety of drones and sounds through the ice of solidly frozen lake while close-miking the outcome, which he would later use for processing and creating sounds.

Well, the music of r0;Permafrostr1; is all about dense, slow morphing and flowing textural plains with organic elements demanding focussed listening. Moreover, these vast sonic landscapes are gradually evolving and moving forward like a glacier while the listener is being submerged deeper and deeper in an imminent cold, remote and sometimes even otherworldly environment with no boundary conditions. r0;Permafrostr1; is an intense sound experience by all means. Well done, Stephen!

There are actually two versions available of this impressive work of (what Stephen refers to as) dark glacial ambient music: therer17;s the full three-hour score (a download-only which can be bought through MusicZeit), while a slightly abridged edition of the album is available as cd-r on demand (in the usual all-black livery) from Stephen directly."

www.sonicimmersion.org

Thanks for reading,

Stephen.

Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 10-05-2010 01:06
I'd find it really hard to write an authentic review about a sleep concert. smiley Have put a DVD player + speakers in my girlfriends bedroom. Maybe we can tell you soon about the experience...
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 10-05-2010 02:20
"There was a deep, droning noise. It turned out to be me, snoring..."

Easy as that.

Stephen

Sende Private Message
Doomcore
Mitglied

Eingetreten: 20.02.07
Eingetragen auf 10-05-2010 21:17
I listened to those short previews in that link you gave, they sound really nice. Worth buying. Respect!!!
http://www.myspace.com/phobosdna Sende Private Message
DarkAmbient

Eingetragen auf 11-05-2010 16:12
Btw.: Permafrost & Snore Ambient... There is a concert in total darkness with Thomas Köner... I'll put it on the events forum.
Tektonik
Mitglied

Eingetragen auf 24-08-2010 12:10
Here´s a review written by Sylvain Lupari of the Canadian gutsofdarkness.com website:

Least that we can say is that Stephen Parsick is not afraid of ambitious artistic projects, projects that are out of the ordinary. Created in the Siberian coldness which covered the whole Eastern Europe from December, 2009 till February, 2010, Permafrost-Music for hibernation is an ode to iciness which has rages in this sector where the wintry temperatures exceeded very often 30 degrees Celsius. Cold those bite the skin and the nature from which the German sound sculptor knew how to catch with an artistic approach worthy of great sound explorers. In order to seize well this ice and coldness symphony, Stephen Parsick settled microphones to recorded ices, winds and snowfalls murmurs. The result is a stunning enchanting world where the solitude of hibernations can be feel at the tip of our ears.

An ice which is forming or which is fissuring opens this polar dawn serenade. Slowly, the listener feels submerged by this glacier desert where the silence is the only witness of an inhospitable environment. Slow atonal strata furrow this silence of snows, wrapping this wintry incursion of a heavy sound coat where linear streaks tear an ambiance of white marble. A slow symphony floats in the cold, such these auroras borealis dancing under our eyes, without producing the slightest sound. An enchanting universe and horribly beautiful blows in our ears, there where the delirious state of the intense cold brings us to hear sirens to murmur beneath the ices which collide and whose movements are amplified by the reach of microphones. Caustic and glacial, the universe of Stephen Parsick ravels under our ears with a never ending brittleness and an insidious cruelty which is the resultant of the cold on a naked body. Throughout this ode to coldness and loneliness, Stephen Parsick modulates its sonorities in order to involve the listener in a winter of which half-lights have no endings with drones which circulate under slow morphic layers. Layers of a caustic synth which reaches paroxysms of tension while slipping into atmospheres to weather permutations. A cold and somber universe which unfolds with all the meticulousness of its Siberian exploration, with beautiful synth layers often obscures but also of a fine limpidity. A little as if the light wanted to filters through this thick water curtain. Gliding, with slow modulations of fine oscillations, the mordant universe of Parsick reaches its peaks of sonorous tranquility in a universe however carpeted by heavy layers which tear the winter silence, as an enormous knife would mutilate a silk sheet beneath reverberations of an amplified sonority.

Permafrost-Music for Hibernation enrolls under the registers of experimental music where his designer innovates within advanced techniques of recording. The outcome is a strange winter symphony where the cosmos is freeze under water, but perceptible because of the sound fauna which lends itself easily to the delirious of a loneliness where all can be intermingle, like mirages of a virginal coldness. The fans of Stephen Parsick, and its ambitious projects, wonr17;t be disappointed by this ode to glacial abyssal blackness, because even if the universe of ambient is strongly solicited, the German synthesist is successful in always astonishing by his sound structures as limpid as invisible, even surrounded by a poetic blackness.

Sylvain Lupari

gutsofdarkness.com & planetorigo.com

Sende Private Message
Springe zum Forum:
Login
Username

Passwort

Noch kein Mitglied?
Klicke hier um dich zu registrieren.

Passwort vergessen?
Fordere Hier ein neues an
Shoutbox
Du musst Dich einloggen, um eine Nachricht zu schreiben.

DarkAmbient
24 Apr : 17:55
I really need a restart checklist. AutoDJ was offline again...

Seelenkrank
23 Apr : 17:43
thats life smiley

DarkAmbient
23 Apr : 16:19
Silly Mac said it had to 'restart' itself due to a problem. :-/

Seelenkrank
23 Apr : 15:46
oh it runs again smiley but a channel is muted (?)

DarkAmbient
15 Mar : 13:35
... and again, the Auto DJ switched itself off. Got to write my own radio software. :-/

Shoutbox Archiv
Panel Stats